Preaching tomorrow

Well - I am preaching tomorrow and feeling very frustrated and very excited.

I have my outline, and I am excited about my subject (excited about my Master!) and the French Bible is really well put at that point, and everything - but it is still like pulling teeth!

And after all, it is my second time now. I had thought it would feel comfortable and more .... easy by now. Anyway.

Also, it being August, everyone in the world is on holiday, so I will be preaching to myself, the family and the pianist! I took the piano to the church last night and I'll be doing the PowerPoint but I hope to avoid taking up the offering, too.

That's France in August. I was amused this week to notice that the garage where we have our car serviced is closed AND the Orange mobile phone shop in our nearest shopping centre reopens on 12 August. You have to admire the country! Reminds me of miners' fortnight and factory shut-downs. Remember those?

The irritating thing is that in Britain I would be ready by now. I would usually preach and/or teach about 5 times a week.

But instead I have just one message to give and I am battling with words - especially "à", "de", "sur", etc. etc.

The preacher stands with his Bible in one hand, his dictionary in the other and his Bescherelle balanced on one knee.

Still.

We should never be discouraged. Trust and plough on! Lean and plod!

I was feeling particularly frustrated last night when, thanks to God, I remembered the verse preached on at my ordination.

Joshua 1 v 9.

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.

I need it a lot just now! Do you think the preacher knew I would be tempted to discouragement?

And you never know what will happen when Jesus is preached, do you?

One thing is sure - he'll fulfil his plan!

Comments

Anonymous said…
As a pleb in the congregation, - I can only say one thing. Preach Christ to me. I don't care who does it, in what manner or language - just give me Christ and Him crucified. I have sat listening to a Romanian peacher and hardly understood a word, but I loved every minute because he was preaching Christ (I had a Bible text to read and follow). You love the Lord and His word and are being obedient to His calling. I can pray for you in your frustrations, but be assured that none of your work will be in vain and eternity will show the full and wonderful use of it. Who knows where your words will find their way to, and God knows the power of His word through you. God bless you dear brother - 'Plod and lean' - I love it!

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen