Pray for Pidjin speakers

Some of our UFM colleagues have to work in pidjin. Sometimes pidjin is challenging to the native English speaker. I'd much rather make my home in the French language than in pidjin. To illustrate what I mean, here is a sample of part of John's gospel in Hawaii pidjin. This is absolutely serious, and illustrates some of the problems of adapting to pidjin. It was taken from an e-mail advertising the availability of this NT for the Palm computer Bible I use.

Hawaii Pidgin New testament - Da Jesus Book

This translation was written by 26 native speakers of Hawai`i Pidgin in the islands. They worked from the original Greek, with the help of the Wycliffe Bible Translators, and also referred to English translations and commentaries. It is intended for those speakers of the Hawai`i Pidgin language (sometimes called Hawai`i Creole English) who find the English Bible difficult to understand.

Excerpt (John 3:15-17): "15 so dat everybody who stay trus me, can get da real kine life dat stay to da max foeva. 16 God wen get so plenny love an aloha fo da peopo inside da world, dat he wen send me, his one an ony Boy, so dat everybody dat trus me no get cut off from God, but get da real kine life dat stay to da max foeva. 17 You know, God neva send me, his Boy, inside da world fo punish da peopo. He wen send me fo take da peopo outa da bad kine stuff dey doing."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen