It went OK

We were 19. But 6 or more of these came really quite late, so we had decided to turn the benches round and sit in a squarish-circle rather than in rows (12 people in rows seems a bit unnecessary!) So by the end we were crowded onto the benches and we had fetched some chairs to help too.

The service was much less formal than if we had used the PowerPoint, though we followed exactly the same order of service, and things seemed to go generally OK. Preaching this time did feel easier than last time. I stood up and used a handy lectern-thingy

Then at the end one of the chaps wanted to discuss a question - viz. why discipleship is not given more prominence today. I had a quick moment of panic - would I be able to understand everyone's contribution, and would I be able to summarise what they said for the group, and respond quickly enough?

Well we discussed for about 20 minutes or so, talking about "decisionism", the tyranny of numbers, the need to encourage each other, to meet together to read, pray etc.

Phew! I think it probably went OK from where most people were sitting. And it will have prepared the way a little for something I want to do with the chaps, meeting with them to read and pray. So this week I have to research some good books. I know Jerry Bridges exists in French. Problem is our Maison de la Bible bookshop isn't the best for browsing in. I'll have a look at the AoG bookshop in case there's something that would suit. And there's the Europresse catalogue, etc. - I guess that I can always order their books via Maison de la Bible.

Comments

Emmanuel said…
You can also try excelsis http://www.xl6.com/librairie.php
Alan said…
Thanks Emmanuel. Great.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen