One difference between we French and the anglo-saxon mindset is that
I was chatting with the dad of a friend of Gwilym. He works for a multinational aeronautics firm, so he speaks pretty good English (though we stuck to French), he knows that Welsh culture is different from English culture (hurrah !) and ... wait for it ... he has visited Cwmcarn many times. He said, "Of course, one difference between the French and the Anglo-Saxon mindset is that we are very logical while you are very pragmatic." I think I looked puzzled and doubtful... "You must do something", he said, "and if that does not work then you will change and do something else until you find out what does work. We must reflect before we do anything." He's so right. Although the verb 'to reflect' exists in English I don't think I ever used it and I certainly never did it. I MUCH prefer to do SOMETHING than nothing, even if it is the wrong thing. After all, in a crisis to do nothing is usually the wrong thing. However here in France I find that w...
Comments
Whenever people talk about the EU making war impossible I recall that the United State had a civil war after it was a nation and that war was as nasty as any war fought with other nations. Sooner or later a union formed by politicians will erupt into war and that war will be nastier than any before the union.
I am not hopeful of human attempts to end wars, though we have to do all we can, of course!
Our only hope is in the grace of God to our rebellious and defiant continent