Naaman's problem

This morning I was reflecting on Naaman in 2 Kings 5. He has been converted, but he has issues to think through:

17 "please let me, your servant, be given as much earth as a pair of mules can carry, for your servant will never again make burnt offerings and sacrifices to any other god but the LORD. 18 But may the LORD forgive your servant for this one thing: When my master enters the temple of Rimmon to bow down and he is leaning on my arm and I bow there also—when I bow down in the temple of Rimmon, may the LORD forgive your servant for this."

19 "Go in peace," Elisha said.

Rimmon is nothing. Naaman has no respect for it any more, or its temple. He loves the Lord and the land where the promised Messiah will come one day! But meanwhile his job is to support the king and he has to go to Rimmon's temple.

And Elisha dismisses him in peace, because neither God nor his prophet is supersititous.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've been thinking about this posting for ages.
I can't help it, I just like Naaman, I always have. He speaks to me about me. A stubborn, somewhat impetuous man on whom you will have to work hard if you want to change his mind. But once he has decided that something's right, he stands four square behind it. And yet I detect a pragmatism combined with a humble diplomacy, (something which OUGHT to speak to me about me).

What a testimony he is taking home with him, and yet I fear he is going to draw some flack, despite his position; you know, you daren't be rude to his face, but what can be injected by malign innuendo and backbiting would prove far more effective/subversive.

I also have a great love of Peter the Apostle, again, I see in him much of my impetuosity and other failings; (let's be honest, what would I have done in the garden or in the courtyard afterwards?), so much like him but without many of his redeeeming factors. I rely on Jesus for the redemptive works, I just have to!

Thank you Lord that your precious Spirit preserved the narratives of these two men for us, it serves to make me realise that the men in the scriptures are really that, men, and that makes them relevant to me.
Alan said…
This is the way it helped me. When we move into a new situation there's often things that are done that we wouldn't choose ourselves, but that we go along with. Not crucial things, but issues we thought through in the past.

For example, while in Cardiff I was in an AV church. I thought and prayed long and hard and ended up using the NASB personally. Then when I went up to Deeside the church used the NIV so I used the NIV, until coming to France.

Incidentally in France I've been thinking and praying long and hard about what Bible translation to use, and have settled on the Colombe in the end.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen