The agony and the bafflement

So it turns out that missionaires are regarded as self-employed in the UK for the purposes of National Insurance. Thus it was that in May, following advice received by the mission and transmitted to us, I registered Mrs Davey and myself as self-employed on the UK Government website.

(In France pastors, priests, etc are regarded as employed, and their employer is God. Or so I am told.)

On my return from the UK I found :

A) A letter from Newcastle saying that my name and title were different from on their records. Please confirm my forename(s) and title.

B) Tax assessments to fill in for 2010 - 2013 to return by September. (I flicked through them. I am already baffled.)

C) A late-tax-return penalty notice of £200 for the tax return for 2008.

So I phoned them up. They stopped sending tax returns in 2007 because we have no UK income and we pay tax in France.

I have until 3 July to appeal the penalty.

By post.

So I am sending it off today.

Anyway apparently where there is no income there's no tax liability and where there's no tax liability there's no penalty.

So we should be OK.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen