It was party time in grammar, too

We had a whale of a time in Grammar, and we all left at 19h00 on a high. 1/2 hour later I could neither talk about nor remember what we had done, so I think it was a bit tiring.

Anyway, I have a vague idea now:

1) decoupage of the complex sentence, finding the independent clauses, the principal clauses and the relative clauses, etc. This was extremely exciting for all concerned, especially when different people had different interpretations of how the sentences worked. We were cutting up some particularly complicated pieces of Levi-Strauss. Claude Levi-Strauss. Real name, apparently.

2) reported speech. Deciphering such jewels as "he told me that he would not be here for the meeting" and deciding a) whether the meeting has taken place yet - i.e. is it in the past or the future and b) reconstituting the actual thing he said, "I will not be here for the meeting".

Here's another. "He proposed that I accompany him to Berlin but I am not sure whether to go." He hasn't gone yet and he actually said "Accompany me to Berlin".

In one example that went something like "She told me that she had waited for you for two hours" we ended up actually reenacting the events as they had unfolded using three actresses from the class - Yo-Yoon, Dusica and Stephanie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen