Transplant day

My dead computer has not died in vain. Its memory and hard disk are going to be transplanted into Sammy's computer today, I hope. His poor machine labours on with 256MB of memory and 10GB of hard disk for Windows and all his programs. After surgery we hope he'll have double the memory and an 80GB disk. And all his software reinstalled, which would be good enough news on its own. Sammy's existing disk will become an external USB drive that he can use for transporting data between computers.

Also today I must phone our friend Emmanuel the estate agent, who passed on our number to his colleague in Pessac, who phoned on Friday when I was in the meeting and left a message, which I listened to but then lost, and whose (the colleague) name and number I need so I can ring her back and apologise. Confused? Wait till I try to explain all that to Emmanuel in French!

Comments

Alan said…
OK. The memory didn't fit. Sammy's computer uses PC2700 DDR memory (i.e. ancient), and the computer part shops didn't have any either. I have asked a friend who enjoys taking PCs apart if he has any. Otherwise I can get some mail order.

The disk - I discovered that it doesn't need a bigger disk, just the old disk repartitioning, so I did that and now Windows has 20GB to use, and the data partition still has 10GB free space.

The PC doesn't seem appreciably quicker, but really the most important need is memory.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen