A new view of Bordeaux

I called on one of the church members today, who lives in the city centre near the Conservatoire.

To get there I walked through the Capucins Market. Magic! It was wonderful! Chinese stuff galore.

To get back to the Student Centre I walked past l'Eglise St. Michel, with the various people who sell junk all over the square. If you want to buy French junk (and what British person doesn't want to?) that's the place to go. Old radiator grills from pre-war Citroëns, dull brown pottery jugs with duller brown markings, all sorts of junk!

Then through the Arab quarter. Prickly pears, 2,80 € per kilo, and loads of different kinds of peppers, and old chaps with Arab hats (I saw a chap straight out of King Solomon's Mines, in long robes with a kind of African turban, buying bananas) and a stall selling those black and white houndstooth scarves that Palestinians wear and that trendy guys wrap round and round their necks, and stalls full of little bags for men, because in France you have to carry your keys, your wallet, your driving licence, your car registration documents, your insurance certificate and your identity card at all times or you can be fined. Then up Cours Victor Hugo to the Musée d'Aquitaine and over to the Student Centre.

It was brilliant to see parts of the city I have never visited. The Big Bell! I am slipping into my old ways. Never stopping to look around or to explore.

I took some pictures. I'll put them on later. Now I must go back some time to buy a black and white houndstooth scarf to wrap round my neck like the trendy guy that I am (deep down...).

I just love Bordeaux sometimes.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So, like Presley, Yasser Arafat's not dead. He (Arafat and for all I know, Presley as well), is alive and kicking in Bordeaux!!! Watch that not too many revolutionaries gravitate towards you with your new garb.
Alan said…
Oh - and you have to carry your cheque book. In Britain we'd sometimes go years without ever writing a cheque. Here you write 'em all the time.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen