Remembrance Day





The day started with us getting the house back straight after Sunday night, then scuttling off to Pessac centre for the ceremony. On 8 May, 14 July and 11 November the buses have little flags. They're a cheerful sight.

The ceremony went well and started on time.

For eight years I have been baffled by the fact that the Remembrance day service never seemed to start on time. I know we talk about the Bordeaux quarter of an hour, but surely you'd start the Remembrance Day ceremony on time?

Well they have been started on time. I spotted in the Pessac newsletter that the ceremony is announced for 11:15.

Why not 11?

I don't know. Anyway, the Marseillaise was masterfully interpreted by the Société Musicale de Saint-Martin under the baton of Jospeh Clémens. And the rain held off for the ceremony, though many kept their plastic macs on, just in case.

Afterwards some friends came for lunch. Home-made bread, blue and runny cheese, and ham. I had a Skype meeting scheduled with a friend who has recently moved to Cambridge. Our wifi has been playing up, so I did it on my mobile phone and that worked OK, though I haven't dared look at how much data I used!



Then into Bordeaux for a meet-up with one of the students at Subway. We talked, read, walked and prayed together before he went home to prepare for his week and I went home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen