Elwyn Davies

I came to faith as a student in 1978 and a chap used to come and speak at the CU whose name was Elwyn Davies. He seemed ancient then ! He had a shock of white hair, he was stocky and not tall - looked profoundly Welsh, a little poetic, and he would come and speak at the CU. He was probably a little older than I am now...

When I heard him he usually spoke from John's gospel, from chapters 14 - 17, and usually chapter 15. I would listen hard while he spoke and afterwards I would think long and hard about what I'd heard, but I have to confess I usually didn't find him an easy preacher to follow. But the effect of his preaching on me was amazing, nonetheless. I could listen to him all night. And basically what I took away was the message John apparently used to pass on in his latter years, "Little children, love one another, because God is love".

Elwyn Davies' life marks a turning point in the history of Wales. I have no doubt of that. He was at the centre of the little revival that took place amongst students in the late 1940s. He became instrumental in the establishment of the Evangelical Movement of Wales and he was right at the centre of its life for many, many years. This movement has had an incalculable effect on the future of Wales by its magazines, books, conferences, camps, bookshops, ministers' training courses and ministers' fellowships and, in later years, the AECW. Many churches in Wales and beyond owe their existence largely to the work of the EMW.

He was very much a Welshman of his time. A man of the heart. He could bring together gospel people whose convictions on secondary things might differ widely. You felt he loved you.

And once on the seafront at Aber I tried to give him a tract. There we are...

I learn from him to be what you are, to love God and to love his people. And to let them know. Somehow.

Rev 14:13 Then I heard a voice from heaven say, "Write: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on." "Yes," says the Spirit, "they will rest from their labour, for their deeds will follow them."

Apo 14:13 Et j'entendis du ciel une voix qui disait: Écris: Heureux dès à présent les morts qui meurent dans le Seigneur! Oui, dit l'Esprit, afin qu'ils se reposent de leurs travaux, car leurs oeuvres les suivent.

Dat 14:13 Yna clywais lais o'r nef yn dweud, "Ysgrifenna: 'O hyn allan gwyn eu byd y meirw sy'n marw yn yr Arglwydd.' 'Ie,' medd yr Ysbryd, 'cânt orffwys o'u llafur, oherwydd y mae eu gweithredoedd yn eu canlyn hwy.' "

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen