Aaron, by George Herbert

HOLINESS on the head,
Light and perfection on the breast,
Harmonious bells below raising the dead
To lead them unto life and rest.
Thus are true Aarons drest.*

Profaneness in my head,
Defects and darkness in my breast,
A noise of passions ringing me for dead
Unto a place where is no rest :
Poor priest ! thus am I drest.

Only another head
I have another heart and breast,
Another music, making live, not dead,
Without whom I could have no rest :
In Him I am well drest.

Christ is my only head,
My alone only heart and breast,
My only music, striking me e'en dead ;
That to the old man I may rest,
And be in Him new drest.

So holy in my Head,
Perfect and light in my dear Breast,
My doctrine tuned by Christ (who is not dead,
But lives in me while I do rest),
Come, people ; Aaron's drest.

* Exodus 28 : 29 - 37

29 "Whenever Aaron enters the Holy Place, he will bear the names of the sons of Israel over his heart on the breastpiece of decision as a continuing memorial before the LORD. 30 Also put the Urim and the Thummim in the breastpiece, so they may be over Aaron's heart whenever he enters the presence of the LORD. Thus Aaron will always bear the means of making decisions for the Israelites over his heart before the LORD.

31 "Make the robe of the ephod entirely of blue cloth, 32 with an opening for the head in its centre. There shall be a woven edge like a collar around this opening, so that it will not tear. 33 Make pomegranates of blue, purple and scarlet yarn around the hem of the robe, with gold bells between them. 34 The gold bells and the pomegranates are to alternate around the hem of the robe. 35 Aaron must wear it when he ministers. The sound of the bells will be heard when he enters the Holy Place before the LORD and when he comes out, so that he will not die.

36 "Make a plate of pure gold and engrave on it as on a seal: HOLY TO THE LORD. 37 Fasten a blue cord to it to attach it to the turban; it is to be on the front of the turban.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Day off eh? I don't believe a word of it. One just prepares for the next batch of work, even if it's just in one's head. Perhaps I'm a workaholic? Thank you for your Psalm thoughts - very much a challenge. And the Aaron thing - wow! I'm not terribly into poetry but I love the link with Jesus. The Bible is so coherent and our Saviour is most magnificent. Verse 30b particularly struck me as Jesus' intercession is inclusive of our guidance and decision making. He doesn't leave us to get on with it but has our decision making process with Him as He intercedes for us before Almighty God. What a wonderful comfort as we grapple with trying to do God's will not ours. Thank you.
Alan said…
You're right. I've been planning the autumn Bible studies and the Young People's meetings.

But it FELT like a day off.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen