Books

I have not finished either of these books but here is a superficial interim comment on them anyway !

Suite française (Irene Nemirovsky)

It's finely written but without much apparent affection for the French. I do lose track of the characters, most of whom are somewhat larger than life. Perhaps when life becomes crazy one becomes larger than life? If this is anything like an accurate depiction of the events of the occupation it was chaos. Chaos.

Quel petit vélo à guidon chromé au fond de la cour (Georges Perec)

About the efforts of a group of friends to prevent their friend Karasomethingorother from having to do his national service by breaking his arms. It's books like this that sabotage my French entirely. Wonderful and perplexing in equal measure. Where does the bike come in, I ask myself? At the end of the courtyard, comes the swift reply.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen