When mummy got stuck up the chimney


I plucked up the courage to talk to the guy at LeroyMerlin today. He was impressed that I had measured the fireplace before going. He talked about the three options:

1) Foyer fermé. This is the best and most efficient option, but it depends if the artisan can stick it in your fireplace.

2) Insert. This is what you use if he can't stick the foyer fermé in your fireplace.

3) Poële à bois. Wood-burning stove. That would look ridiculous. (I didn't argue, but I quite fancied the idea of a stove in our fireplace... That's me. No class.)

The path ahead:

a. ensure that your flue has an opening of 20 cm for sticking the flue through. Well, 18 cm will do.

b. arrange for a fireplace fitter to come and suss it out.

c. Get it put in (and pay!)

"Well", I thought, "it looks like I am going to have to climb up the chimney."

Then I thought, "... but in Dickens' time children used to climb up chimneys to sweep them. Maybe Gwilym would like to measure the flue."

Gwilym, it transpired, would not like to.

But Pat, always plucky and adventurey, decided that she would like to stuck her head up the chimney, so she went for it!

19 cm. Result! Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is certainly a new variation on "When Santa got stuck up the chimney, he began to shout....."
Anonymous said…
Forget that last comment, I've just seen Pat's posting on the subject and then on my return to this, I noticed the blog title. Slow or what? (Don't answer.)

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen