I don't normally like this kind of thing, but...

What do you think?

It's moving, isn't it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
what's strange thing...it's moving...exactly...
MartinY said…
Not being a preacher, on those occasions when I've read the Bible in public I've been at pains to inject into my reading the feeling that the writer put into the text. Thus I would say that such reciting as Ryan is doing here _should_ be with feeling. It certainly is moving, perhaps we should have more such public reciting. I wonder how the original recipients would have read it.
Anonymous said…
Yes, interesting. I first came across dramatic recitiation of the Bible at the Keswick Convention. We have a gentleman at church who does something similar but not quite so loud. It does add to the understanding of the passage and I personally like it. Our friend recites from memory and that in itself is a feat.
I'm sure our God is pleased at any time when His Word is read in public and for it to be on the internet is truly good.
Anonymous said…
My problem with this sort of thing is that I find the focus falls on the performer (Hasn't he got a good memory?...) rather than the word.
PGDH said…
Really cool. Max MacLean's recitations (e.g. Mark and Genesis) are pretty good too, although there is sometimes a thin line between a good dramatic reading and annoying.

As I know you know, in 1Tim 4:13 Paul instructions Timothy to "devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching". I think we need to give all three better attention!

I doubt Paul had in mind the ambiguous controlled monotone which seems to characterises much public reading of scripture.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen