Heating the Landaise

We have an electric boiler.

Yes - I am baffled, too.

That's why I want EDF to come and look at it and advise me if it's set up properly and what we can do to make it run better, cheaper, etc.

But also we want to use our fireplace. The fireplace is massive and ... rustic looking. If we install either a closed hearth or a wood-burning stove, the government will pay half the cost in the form of a nice cheque next time we do our tax declaration. This is because wood is a renewable energy source, so people should be encouraged to use it. The only trouble is, the wood-burning stove people in the area seem to sell these Finnish designer things. We want an ordinary, basic model - the Citroën 2CV of the wood-burning stove world.

Comments

Emmanuel said…
I like the idea of a stove. some people in Ferb=ney had one, and the whole house was heated this way, even hot water for the shower. It used to be very hot in the house.
Also, like the 2CV image: cheap, but reliable (I think, at least you could repair them with anything and get them going).
Anonymous said…
I am inclined to agree with Emmanuel, it appears that the Canadians have a tendency to have a stove in the house, (no I'm not on about a log cabin), which services all heating requirements and look at the cold, cold winters they endure.

In fact, I knew of one such stove put in a large house in Llwyngwril, on the Merioneth coast, by the owner who had used to live in Canada, (and has since returned - reminds me, I must do their Christmas card!), and 'twas most efficient. Far removed from Canada I agree, but the winds there were pretty strong.
Anonymous said…
Oh yes, and I remember that we also encountered one in a VERY large Swiss chalet style of house in Slovenia some years ago and that was very warm with oodles of hot water for the shower. They have pretty extreme winters too.

Not dissimilar to your home in appearance come to think of it.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen