Lunch at a Social Centre, the Chinese lads and the number 4 bus

Yesterday I agreed to meet a friend for lunch. Basically it's a guy who lives alone, who has pretty serious health issues and who likes to invite people out to lunch. He's VERY THIN and I believe him when he says he just doesn't eat at home, so he's convinced me that by letting him buy me lunch I'm doing him a favour. Not only that, but then he gets to choose the place, and it's places I just would never go!

Anyway yesterday it was a social centre at Bègles, run by the town hall, they do a lunch there three times a week to get people together and create a bit of social adhesion. They do the same menu on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and put that with the extremely hot weather and you understand why we were the only people there.

Lunch was gazpacho - salty and loaded with garlic - then meatballs in pepper and tomate sauce with its puréed vegetables followed by a basket of fruit for dessert. The lady brought up this enormous basket with two good size bunches of grapes and four apples. Serve yourself coffee. It was canteen-style food, but very healthy eating really and 6€ a head. If Bègles were not an hour away by bus I might go back with Pat!

Anyway we talked about my friend's various problems and about our idea of selling up here and moving further into Bordeaux. Good idea, he said.

Then a meet up with the Chinese lads in the evening. We've kicked "Knowing God" into touch. It's too much reading for them. So we're working through a little book produced by Francis Schaeffer called 25 basic Bible studies. It's available in French.

If we do move into town I'll sure miss the number 4 bus! Yesterday, with the return journey to Bègles and the journey in to meet the Chinese lads, I spent about three hours on various buses. When I'm alone I can read (Kindle etc.) and also do some preparation (Logos on iPad mini). I can also do basic emails, Facebook, etc. on my phone, so it's not wasted time, really.

There may also be someone who can help us out by preaching at the International Church once a month. I'm hoping, quietly!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen