Living in France does change you.

Things I thought I would never do that I now do routinely

1) Carry a man-bag. It's practical. And my little computer fits inside.

2) Kiss the chaps at church. Hey, it's not such a big deal.

3) Eat bleeding steaks. They're nicer, but the restaurant has to be dimly lit.

4) Eat mussels. They were fine.

5) Enjoy hot chocolate for breakfast. Yum !

Things I thought I would never do that I think I will probably do one day

1) Wear a beret. They're great when you go a bit thin on top and they pack away flat in your man-bag.

2) Shop at Le Mutant. It's a low-cost supermarket and apparently it's fine, but I just can't do it yet.

3) Eat andouillette. I can't even imagine this at the moment but I guess one day I will eat one at a day conference or something.

Things I thought I would never do that I still think I will never do

1) Wear a bracelet. LOADS of French chaps wear bracelets. Little fine chains or strange industrial thingies in steel and black leather or rubber. Some wear two. And when you shake hands your fingers touch the bracelet.

2) Eat snails, oysters, steak tartare (i.e. raw mince). There is a limit.

3) Go on a demo. I mean, why ?

4) Go swimming in speedos and a bathing cap. Compulsory wear in French public swimming pools. No pool is worth that.

Comments

Larry said…
1) Man bags are the way forward. Even Jack Bauer wears one! (And if you don't watch 24 then frankly i'm flabbergasted!)

2) Berets - avoid like the plague, a true sign that there is a string of onions with your name on it.

3) Going swimming in speedos... roughly akin to dante's 9th level of hell!
Alan said…
I watched the first series of 24, but we don't get it here in France.

I have seen lots of episodes of Spooks, however - some friends loan us their DVDS !
Amrita said…
You have me smiling.

I wouldn 't eat the bleeding steaks no way.

And also wouldn 't kiss the chaps at church ---women would be fine.

Ha...ha...ha!
Alan said…
Oh we kiss the women too.

Oh yes, we kiss the women too.
Anonymous said…
Alors... quand je lis le premier cinq, je pense que j'suis vraiment francais et pas ecoassias!!

Je fais 1, 3, 4 et 5 maintenant a edimbourg. Quand j'etais etudiant a Paris, c'etait les bisous qui etait trop bizarre pour moi (meme dans l'eglise). Je pense que tout le monde dans l'eglise pensaient que j'etais tres froid avec mon serrement de main!

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen