La sainte cène and the Lord's Supper

Long-term readers ( with very good memories and nothing else to occupy their minds ! ) may remember how surprised I was at a synod in Branoux to see the bread lifted up and broken at the communion service ( Elévation et fraction du pain ). It has been stewing away somewhere in the darkest recesses of my neurone and so I found this article by the eminent and immensely good lad, Carl Trueman, very stimulating.

http://www.ediblewords.org.uk/articles/trueman

The most informal sainte cène I have ever been at was during a discussion-format-service where the bread and wine circulated as people discussed in groups. hmm.

I would be very interested in simply tracing the development of communion service theology and practice in the French and Scottish reformed churches, sharing as they do a common ancestor in Geneva. Is there anything on that in print, I wonder ?

Meanwhile Trueman is very stimulating and a lovely boy, though he does give Derek Thomas dreadful stick for no greater crime than being Welsh - a calumny of which my culpability is concrete.

Comments

I have a book, handed down in our family for a few generations already, which is entitled, "Histoire generale des eglises Vaudois". Published in 1669, and one of the three primary sources for study of the Vaudois, it is excellent for seeing what they believed. It's two books bound in one: first being theology, and the second their history of persecution. I'm doing my thesis on the Huguenot's faith and theology in the context of their persecution (part of what made them a people, and therefore able to survive with such tenacity the persecution), and I'd be glad to send you some of the things find on la sainte-cene.

I already have a bit roughly translated on baptism here: http://www.foucachon.com/2007/06/on-baptism.html
Alan said…
Oh yes please Daniel. As long as the French is not TOO incomprehensible I'll cope with it, I hope.

I find it very interesting that the Scots and French reformed churches ended up with such different approaches to the Lord's Supper. Ever read about Highland Communion Seasons ?

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen