You are the Reeces ! Let's have a cymanfa ganu !

Yesterday was the carrefour théologique at Montauban. Paul Wells from the Faculté Libre d'Aix en Provence was due to speak, along with another speaker from the CEEF. However, Paul has the flu and his doctor ordered him not to come so Dik did a kind of survey of views of sanctification looking at Augustine, Wesley and Keswick. Sammy and I manfully set off early for Montauban. It was a good opportunity to talk about everything as we travelled.

I shared the image that Hendryk Krabbendam used all those years ago at a Carey Ministers' Conference when he spoke about revival using the equation 100% + 100% = 100%. In Christology, in conversion, in the inspiration of the Bible, in sanctification - it applies in all sorts of areas.

I decided not to share the Blue Peter "Bread in a flowerpot" illustration of positional and progressive sanctification, though it had proved quite helpful at church. It would have meant too much of my voice and I don't want people realising too soon how chopsy I am.

After lunch this couple were there. Someone introduced her to me and the person next to me as an Anglaise. 'Je suis Galloise!' she said. Her husband's name was Roy and they come from Toulouse. She was wearing a menorah badge.

As the meeting progressed something stirred in the back of my neurone.

Toulouse.... Roy.... Galloise.... Jews.... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... .... She's Margaret Reece !

Years ago now when we first started to sense a call to France a France prayer group used to meet in our home. People brought letters from the workers they supported and our friends from Flint brought information about the Reeces.

During one of the breaks I went and introduced myself to her properly.

Well we were off.

We sang Calon lân and I bob un sydd ffyddlon.

Margaret launched into Hen wlad fy nhadau and O Iesu mawr.

I started Mawr oedd Crist yn nhragwyddoldeb.

We both drew the line at Myfanwy.

One of the French said "It's super when you Welsh find each other..."

She told me where to get LOTS of Stuart Townend songs in French translation. (Asaph 2)

On the way home we stopped for a quick coffee at a motorway services. French coffee does nothing for your thirst but it does get you home when you're flagging (a coup de pompe) !

Incidentally one of the chaps from our group of churches is a real Gaul. Huge beard that forks. Massive leather jacket. The works. And he feels himself to be a Gaul, a Celt. He always says "Comment va le Gallois ?" I reply "Très bien, et le Gaulois ?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen