A happy busy week

This week has been very busy and very happy. It's been a week of special outreach at the centre, with street work to do, contacts to follow up and two special evenings to prepare for. I had to sing Hen Wlad fy Nhadau at a Soirée Galloise. Once I was sure it wasn't a joke I just went for it, (although I had actually practiced singing Calon Lân * in the car on the way to the meeting) It's also been an opportunity to get to know some of the students I've started working with and some of the folks who'll soon be learning how to say "by here", "by there" and "over by there" (equals ici, la et la-bas)

Then today was the church retreat. We decided at the last minute that it would be a good idea to have a PowerPoint presentation of highlights of the year gone by, so I threw together a loop of photos really early this morning, but wasn't able to stay and watch people's reaction to it because I had to nip off and get some leaflets for a Bible Exhibition.

The retreat went well. I think the church is happier and holier this evening than it was this morning.

Tomorrow will be very nostalgic for us. It is a year and a fortnight since we arrived in Bordeaux, and a year and a week since the first service we attended. Our first service was at the chateau in Blaye, and tomorrow we are back there again.

This year has not always been easy and choppy waters lie ahead too, no doubt, but God is faithful. Coming to France is by far the hardest thing we have ever done, and so we are very thankful that we are utterly convinced that it is God's will for us to be here!

* My repertoire of Welsh songs is small.

1 verse of Hen Wlad fy Nhadau.
1 verse of Calon Lân.
1 verse of Un fendith dyro i'm.
2 verses of I bob un sydd ffyddlon.
The whole of Dafydd y garreg wen, though you don't want to be anywhere near when I do the octave leaps!
Oes gafr eto, of course, though I have the usual problems with the colours.

Thankfully I only know the first line of Myfanwy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Don't you know Sosban Fach? Even I know that!
Alan said…
I go wrong in the bit that goes

"Who beat the All-Blacks?
Who beat the All-Blacks?
Who beat the All-Blacks
but good old sospan fach?"

I used to sing that bit with gusto, but I can't seem to get it out any more.
Anonymous said…
Surely it goes more like (from memory)...

Mae bys Meri-Ann wedi brifo
A'r Dafydd y ? dim yn iach
Mae baban yn y crib yn crio
A'r gath wedi scrapo Johnny bach

Sosban fach yn berwi yn y tan
Sosban fawr yn berwi ar y llawr
A'r gath wedi scrapo Johnny bach

If Llanelli supporters have to continually refer back to a rugby match that took place some thirty years ago, then Welsh rugby is indeed in a mess!
Alan said…
Matthew, I am very proud of you. To think of you all those years in CAMBRIDGE, singing "Sospan fach" as you stroll through the streets. Town, gown and gumshield!

(It's "Dafydd y gwas" who isn't very healthy.)
Anonymous said…
You know Alan, until Matthew wrote those words down, I didn't even know what it was I had been singing all those years ago? Mind, that didn't stop me from singing whatever it was that I was singing, with great gusto.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen