Internet back up at home!

I spent a happy morning talking to the Wanadoo tech. support people on the phone (all in French - quand même, uh?*) We installed and uninstalled things. We plugged things in and out. We shook things all about. We didn't try doing the hokey-cokey, but I drove to the France Telecom agency to get software for the Livebox and tried installing that. The chappie suggested that I connect by ethernet. Good idea, but we can't run cables all over the house and we don't want to go in the garage every time we use the internet.

So in the end he decided we would need to have a technician call and he set up an appointment for Thursday.

Then this afternoon I got frustrated by it all. The Livebox has never been all that stable - I usually have to reset it once or twice a week and it's never liked downloading big files. Also the Wanadoo software was like poison for my PC. So I decided to go to our local supermarket and get a modem/router, and now we are back up and running. Easy as winking.

Now tomorrow I will have to phone Wanadoo again, and cancel the call and the rental of the Livebox.

* one tech support lady heard my pronunciation of English Windows and DOS error messages and said she understood English and I could speak to her in English if I liked and she would reply in French, but when I looked at my French laptop and heard her voice in French I couldn't do the switching back and fore! It was easier to carry on in French. That's sort of encouraging, I think...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen