Phonétique exam over

Now it is my weakest point, OK?

Anyway I went into the little room with the examiner, who is really very pleasant, and I had to read this text about flying deer returning to Burck-on-Sea. Then I had to read a sheet of words specially designed to trip up the anglophones, like appartement and téléphone.

Then I had to think of four ways of spelling the nasal from vin and pain. Well I am NO good at those - just plucking spellings out of the air. I started well with vin and pain, then struggled to get vingt, then ground to a halt!

Then I had to think of five ways of spelling the nasal that you get in en. So again I started well with vacances, then en, then realised that ent isn't the same as en for this exercise, so added vent, and two more that I can't remember now.

Then I had to do some phonetic transcription, which was OK except that I forgot that c is k, thought I remembered that u is y, thankfully (y being i, and ou being u).

Then I had to describe the sound of s in J'en veux plus and in Je n'en veux plus.

Then the sound of ent in souvent and parlent.

Then I had to take back some of my test results from the past few weeks, when I got 17/20 for one and 19/20 for the other (it was a really facile comprehension from a tape, but hey - marks are marks).

So I am glad it's over, and now I have a headache, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen