Floirac and Anglade

Today the pastor was preaching on Matt 6:23 - 24, and I had the opportunity to hear him twice on it because it was the Sunday for the afternoon service at Anglade in the Blaye area. They are not a huge group, but they have a good heart and a good spirit and it is always good to be there. One of the chaps there led the service very enthusiastically, and before the service he asked me to read one of the three readings. It was Psalm 91.

I said "The whole psalm?" "Yes", he said, "It's not very long."

Well it was great to be landed with it suddenly because this time I couldn't consult anyone on my liaisons and stuff. I just had to practice any really chewy words (*) quietly before the service, then go for it. I am sure I liaised where I shouldn't and that I didn't liaise where I should, but the chap leading is from Guyana anyway, so they are used to an accent or two!

The other two readings were Psalm 34, and Ephesians 1.

Actually I think that's great! After all, Paul tells Timothy to devote himself to the public reading of Scripture (1 Tim 4:13), which tells us that reading the Bible in our meetings is really important.

* Chewy words like "j'enregistre les messages". This caused such a toing and froing of my tongue that I tried another way, "je fais les enregistrements". It was no better.

I think part of the problem is that I have not grasped thoroughly the egalitarian spirit that pervades the French language. There is a post coming on this, because for me it is really important 1) for pronouncing long words 2) for singing French hymns. But I just need to reflect on it a little more before I write about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen