C25k - 20 minutes!

It was the birds that set the tone.

I came blinking out of the doors of the block of flats into that lovely half-light with its "stupid o'clock blue" sky and - I don't know who had put them up to it, who could it have been? - but as I emerged they blasted off in a spirited attempt at "Zadok the priest". Of course, none of them had heard any Handel and there was a basic disagreement over what key it should be in, but what they lacked in experience they more than made up for in gusto, and I knew this run would be OK.

I set another app running - Map my run - which is aimed at more experienced, longer distance runners but which would tell me accurately what speed I run at - and set off at a leisurely pace. The goal is to do 20 minutes, not to do it fast, well or stylishly - just to do it.

Halfway up five-minute-warm-up hill I used my ventolin. It was a bright and fresh morning, crisp and dry. And we were off.

Even the first five minutes were OK. They are a long slow climb along the vines, but today there was no wind or rain. At the halfway point I paused to blow my nose and wipe my eyes - it was cold enough for that. Running home always seems shorter and then the welcome voice, "Slow down and cool off for 5 minutes."

The birds were waiting for me and gave me a hearty cheer as I slumped back down the hill and home.

Thanks chaps. It wouldn't have been the same without you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen