A long and varied Saturday

The day began with me getting up to cook some frozen croissants. It's one of the nice things about France, these frozen viennoiseries. The best ones come from Picard, these were from Géant Casino, but they still puffed up nicely and went golden brown.

I popped them in a bag and headed off through the morning gloom to the men's breakfast at church. AT the change from bus to tram there was to be a nine minute wait, so I preferred to stride through the deserted streets from the Hôtel de Police to the Palais de Justice tram stop.

As the tram crossed the Pont de Pierre the sun was rising. Nice.

Apparently the Pont de Pierre is sinking. This means that in one or two years' time they'll have to close the bridge to underpin some of the piers. This will cause MAJOR DISRUPTION as the only tram line that links the right bank (where the church is) with the left bank (where we and lots of others live) crosses the Pont de Pierre. Someone has suggested that this may precipitate a left bank church plant. We'll see.

Got to the church/ Put on the heating. Arranged the tables. Put on the coffee. Heated some milk. Boiled the water. Chaps arrived bearing cakes.

Yes. Another wonderful thing about France is the tradition of eating cake for breakfast ! There were two. An Apple Cake and a Marmalade Cake. Very nice too !

We presented the book "L'homme dans le miroir" by Patrick Morley that we propose to use. Patrick shared from Psalm 1. We shared about work life and family life. We had agreed to meet between 8h30 and 10 - 10h30 maximum, but one chap arrievd at 10h30, so we had another slice of cake and prolonged till just after 11h, closing with a time of prayer.

Back home and some donkey work to do ready for Sunday. Then at 3 off for the Big Band concert  at Bougue.

We arrived, did the set up. I had been lined up as back-up bass trombone (on my tenor - we don't have a bass trombone instrument) but Renaud had got hold of a tuba player with an enormous C-tuba, so I showed him his parts and explained the bits he needed to blast out.

The concert was at 20h30 so at 7 we ate a nice meal of roast pork and mushrooms, gratin dauphinois with bacon and apple tart, and watched the end of the rugby on one chap's phone.

One of the good things about being in France is that if France wins then that's good. If Wales wins that's even better. And it gave a good opportunity to tease me during the concert. I wore a red tie to celebrate and wished I had my red plastic trombone with me, especially as it has "Le Gallois" in the bell in stuck on letters...

The concert went very well indeed and we wended our weary way home with me apparently giving it ZZZs en route.


Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen