A Montauban Morning

I had a great journey to Montauban.

It started with a 6:30 trot through Pessac Alouette's deserted streets to the station. Buy my ticket to Bordeaux from the machine and compost it before getting on the lovely new double-decker train. It was gorgeous, with power outlets by the seats and all mod cons.

In Bordeaux I tried to use a machine to buy the ticket to Montauban but was disconcerted by the fact that there are about 5 Montaubans in France. I know the one I wanted is in the 82 (Tarn et Garonne) but the machine doesn't care about that. I thought it was Montauban Ville Bourbon, but I feared getting the wrong ticket and into trouble so I went and queued at the ticket office instead and that was fine.

The train was an old corridor-style but it meant I had lots of room and could parade back and fore looking out of the window at the fields, rolling hills, little housing estates and the river and canal.

At Montauban I realised that I had no real idea of how to get from the station to the bridges over the Tarn, but I had no worries because it is extremely easy. Opposite the station is a sign for centre ville and this takes you right to the old bridge, and the church is just a few hundred yards from the bridge.

I thought I'd just mention the meals we had.

Lunch :

Asparagus with tomato.
Mushroom omelette and creamed spinach (lots of)
Lettuce and vinaigrette
Cheese
Crème caramel

Dinner :

Stuffed squash (stuffed with meat)
Cheese and oranges
Dessert of stewed apple.

It struck me that the standard starchy part we Brits always eat (rice, spuds, pasta) was missing. Instead lots more vegetables.

You can see from the photos that Montauban is a very attractive town.


Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen