Expect great things, attempt great things, and keep doing the small things

I met up with the couple up with which I meet this morning and during the course of our discussion we spoke about the importance of doing the small things faithfully and with conviction. After all, most big things happen as a result of lots of small things added together. (I thought substituting the Pompidou Centre for the Forth Bridge showed unusual and admirable cultural sensitivity...)

At the same time I was thinking of Carey (who wouldn't) and of my big hope (a strong church in Bordeaux establishing works in the villages and towns around). But isn't it true that Carey described himself as 'good at plodding'?

Perhaps it isn't. I have this nagging doubt... Maybe it was Churchill?

or Cromwell?

Comments

Alan said…
I checked. It was Carey.

He never, never, never gave up.

:)
...James said…
Thanks for linking the blog, will need to add yours to mine. Hope and pray that Gwilym gets on well with school stuff. God is in control!

I've been meaning to e-mail you for about a week, will write to you soon.

James
Alan said…
Friend Mark comments from the midst of his bed of sickness, and sends us Carey's quote. (By the way, it's William Carey.)

"Eustace, if after my removal any one should think it worth his while to write my Life, I will give you a criterion by which you may judge of its correctness. If he give me credit for being a plodder he will describe me justly. Anything beyond this will be too much. I can plod. I can persevere in any definite pursuit. To this I owe everything."


I think the order of the other quote is "Expect … attempt …" either with or without "from God … for God".

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen