So are you a Baptist?

I get asked this a lot. It makes me appreciate anew the approach of the AECW.

The AECW consists of churches who all subscribe to one of the reformed confessions of faith, be it the 1689, the Westminster, the Savoy, the 1823 Calvinistic Methodist, etc. The churches associate to strengthen the gospel witness in Wales together.

As far as I am concerned it has led me more and more to value the reformation heritage without feeling the necessity to choose one stream of that heritage, whether Presbyterian, Baptist, Anabaptist, etc. etc. And within AECW many churches don't have a tag like that (Baptist, Presbyterian..) although most have Baptist or Presbyterian origins and practices and most only baptise believers and that usually by immersion.

So are you a Baptist?

Tell you what - you tell me what you mean by Baptist and I'll tell you if I are one. After all, most Baptists in France come from a fundamentalist dispensationalist American background, and I am not that.

Comments

Martin Downes said…
I thought you was a "deep water presbyterian."
Alan said…
I LIKE it!
Emmanuel said…
French people always like to put people into boxes. They feel reassured. I've always felt uncomforatble with that, especially in French reformed circles.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen