Reading and stuff

I used to read the Telegraph online. Used to. Well, I still do. Sort of.

Well what happens is that every day the Telegraph sends me an email of its headlines - a little customized according to my interests - and then I can click on whatever story I'd like to read. It gives me about 8 to 10 headlines, I think, that could conceivably draw my attention, and I click on two or three.

EXCEPT that the Telegraph only gives me a certain limited number of stories that I can read without taking out a subscription. After I pass this limit I kick and it says "Oh no, buster ! You want to mug up, first you cough up!"

What this means is that :

1) I have to look on Flipboard to see if the Telegraph story will appear there, because Flipboard doesn't seem be limited in this way.

2) I read the story on my mobile phone, because that's not limited, either.

3) I have started getting the Guradian headlines sent me as well.

Where I read this article about TED...

 Now don't get me wrong. I do love lots of TED talks.

But the article is very wrong and very right about something. He says that this style of presentation, this type of culture of reflection, is a recipe for civilizational disaster.

I think he's right about civilizational disaster, but wrong because it isn't a recipe, it's a symptom.

Read the article, then ask yourself whether this applies in our current Christian culture.

I think it does. We've slipped from a culture of persuasion into a culture of inspiration. It's HollyCross.

It ties in with another little snippet I read yesterday, where someone was proposing the Christian neologisms for 2013.

One was john-sequitur.

The definition. A logical consequence which would not be true were it not presented by John Piper.

OUCH !

What are the answers ? To reset the focus on truth lived out in community. The Bible, the people of God, relating together, reaching out, sustained by local pastoral ministry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen