La Marseillaise for 8th May

Victory in Europe. Bank Holiday.

The school of music is playing the Marseillaise at the Place de la République in Pessac. This is Roberto Alagna singing Berlioz' understated arrangement.

Meanwhile I am in Lisburn near Belfast for the UFM Ireland Conference.

Ireland is great and I am sure the weekend will be corker.

I will experience the unique plenitude of the Ulster Fry tomorrow, I am told.

I am also looking forward to seeing the gang and hearing all that goes on.

Comments

Ken said…
I think I've mentioned before that, (if I have my facts right,) my eldest daughter had used to have a school teacher friend when she lived in France who would not teach that bloodthirsty anthem to her children. Quite rightly so too in my opinion! (We won't make any comment about them only being able to kill their own countrymen will we? And please DON'T Google 'French military victories' or the entente will break down completely!
Alan said…
Well yes, but - have I mentioned before the fine christian brother who sings the Marseillaise with great joy interpreting its words not quite as the authors intended, with help from biblical imagery largely drawn from Revelation...?
Ken said…
Er, Nooooo. Do tell more. Perleeze. ("Curiouser and curiouser", (said Alice)).
Alan said…
It'll have to wait till I can ask him for a refresher course and at the moment we are separated by the kilometres.
Ken said…
I know you Alan Davey, you'll forget!
Alan said…
Quite likely, especially as I only see the old boy from time to time. Anyway it starts something like this :

Allons enfants de la patrie (our heavenly country)
Le jour de gloire est arrive (the glory of Jesus' coming, I think he thinks of)

etc. etc.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen