Singing at Banner

Some years ago John Piper spoke at Banner. At that time we used to sing nothing but unaccompanied psalms from the Scottish psalter. One day I sat opposite him at lunch. "How many of you guys are from churches like that ?" I said "not many". "Then why do this?" It was a good question though I had no good answer.

That was then. This is now. Last night the 300 or so guys gave all they had to sing Immortal Honours, one of our wedding hymns.

Immortal honours rest on Jesus' head
My God, my portion, and my living bread.
In him I live, upon him cast my care
He saves from death destruction and despair.

He is my refuge in each deep distress,
The Lord my strength and glorious righteousness
Through floods and flames he leads me safely on
And daily makes his sovereign goodness known.

My every need he richly will supply
Now will his mercy ever let me die.
In him there dwells a treasure all divine,
And matchless grace has made that treasure mine.

O that my soul could love and praise him more,
His beauties trace, his majesty adore,
Live near his heart, upon his bosom lean,
Obey his voice and all his will esteem.

Comments

joydriven said…
great lyrics. tune name? and/or do you have access to sheet music?
Alan said…
It is a straightforward 10 10 10 10 hymn.

I think the usual tune is Huntingdon, though I have certainly sang it to Pantyfedwen and at our wedding we used Woodlands ("Tell out my soul")

I could send a pdf of sheet music on my return to France, probably, if you want.
Anonymous said…
I loved the one about "The Governor" and "people getting fat". I sucked in at that point!

Jonathan Gardner
joydriven said…
that would be great (sheet music PDF). we're having a bit of trouble locating midis and such online for introductions to tunes. i may have it in my Hymns of Grace and Glory. will check. thanks!!
Tom King said…
It goes really well to 'Eventide', too.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen