Some people are very enthusiastic about Sarko.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/05/08/do0804.xml&DCMP=EMC-new_08052007

I don't like the way this article is written, but I thought I'd share it with you because it reflects the way that some people are very pro-Sarko.

Others point out that his programme of reforms could begin very quickly, much more quickly than in Britain. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6632711.stm

Pierre Emmanuel McBaudouin celebrated in his own way, recalling the Auld Alliance (the less said about that the better...) http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6631253.stm

Meanwhile, although people seem to have been unimpressed with Ségo's performance during the debate ("She was pretending to be angry", "She had all that planned and prepared", "She was schoolmarm-ish") here in Bordeaux she was the choice of the voters.

Incidentally, yesterday I got hold of Sarko's book, La République, les religions, l'espérance. This is the book where he says that religion is very important in the life of a secular state, and that the state should contribute towards building places of worship because they are more important to communities than sports halls (which the state contributes towards) and because their users are often too poor to put something up themselves. I think it'll probably not be a gripping read, but I'll do my best and if I find any nuggets I'll pass them on.

One alarming thing: the book is a conversation between Sarko, a philosopher and a monk. Sarko is four years older than me and the other two are about ten years younger. Aïe aïe aïe... I guess this means It's too late for me to aspire to being a président, a philosopher or a monk... :-)

Comments

Anonymous said…
No, you've got about four or five years or so to become President. Sounds about right to me.
Alan said…
Thank you for your confidence ! :-)
Anonymous said…
On reflection, you won't have to wait for the next French Presidential elections, there's a vacancy coming up before then, weeell to the West of you. Give that one a try. Mind, you may need quite a pot of money in order to run. Do you want any help running fund raising garden parties, whist drives, raffles, etc?

Come to think of it, President Blair's position is coming up for grabs even sooner. Wot abaht it?

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen