On short texts

The Americans and the French like C S Lewis. To them he is an evangelical.

The Americans also seem to like G K Chesterton. In an effort to like him too I tried reading some Father Brown, but I hated the little squirt. If I had been in a Father Brown story I'd have been the murderer and Father Brown the victim.

But I have been trying again (hope springs eternal) with Tremendous trifles and thoroughly enjoying these short texts about nothing and everything. It's kind of like blogging, in a way.

In French at the DEFLE we had a text of Francis Ponge ('tis right. I checked to make sure) to study once, called Le pain, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Then there's this Philippe Delerm guy, and his short texts.

Is there a Christian equivalent? Well yes - daily readings. Morning and evening, Life as a vapor, etc. etc. For me they are spoiled by being daily readings. They should be just there to read when you have a moment, like on the bus, or whatever...

Not forgetting John Piper's The Passion / 50 reasons. A great example of short texts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen