On giving books to people

I went to see the ironmonger in Tonyrefail. He was a huge great bear of a man with a shock of white hair and his ironmonger's shop was like the one on the Two Ronnies (Four candles).

"Geoff Thomas sent me", I said.

"This is so weird", I thought.

We talked. And talked. He gave me a book. I wasn't sure whether it was a gift or a loan. It was R S Candlish on 1 John.

I took it on a walking tour of the Yorkshire Dales on the way to a student conference in Harrogate (Havoc '78).

I sat on dry stone walls by the side of the road, eating my lunch of muesli and dried milk, carefully dosed out in little plastic bags, rehydrated in a little plastic bowl with whatever water I could find, followed by a banana and some chocolate - it's a wonder I'm still alive -

and reading Candlish on 1 John.

When I had finished reading it I took it back to him, hoping he would say "It was a gift."

He didn't.

So I bought my own copy.

But mine is a big thick bulky hardback and his was a nice backpackers' edition.

It's good to give people books. It may be the best thing you can give someone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One difference between we French and the anglo-saxon mindset is that

A bit about music exams in UK and France

Three weeks in Blighty