No way - no moped for you my boy !

We see nasty accidents involving motorcycles far too often. Yesterday again the police, the SAMU and the "Service for the help of the injured and asphyxiated" converged on a bike in pieces and its rider not looking too much better.

In fact you are 20 times more likely to be killed on a motorbike than in a car.

Although all the accidents we have seen so far have involved big, powerful motorbikes, still I think the only way you'd get one of those cute moped cyclomoteur things in our family is if we could always ride them on cyclepaths, which is, I think, forbidden.

There's just too many cars and as the bikes zip round between the traffic and zoom about they get hit by the cars.

I broke the news to Gwilym that he could forget his dreams of a moped, and he said "OK, if I can have a Porsche".

He can certainly have a Porsche if 1. he buys it, insures it and runs it 2. he lets me have a go!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes, I agree and sympathise with you and Gwilym, the roads are definately not as safe now as when I was a lad. (If you just missed a chariot home, well hang around a bit, there'd be another in a day or two. But watch your legs on the axle projections!)

It has always struck me just how many young men there are in France with limbs missing or who are wheel-chair bound and, having seen roadside accidents there with motor-cycles, I have attributed many of them to the moped/motor cycle habits of French youth. As you point out, some of their antics are quite hair-raising.

As for the Porsche, any chance of a quick nip down to Barcelona in it? (Via the autobahns of course.)
Alan said…
You're on!

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen