Being Welsh

I said in our last letter that I had become Anglo-saxon. Well there is one person here who is very aware that I'm not Anglo-saxon, and that's our history lecturer. In fact I think this week's session was the first one where he did not mention the Welsh and their pivotal role in world history*. And every time he mentions the Welsh he gives me a kind of conspiratorial grin. (He isn't Welsh himself, is he?)

It seems that although it was the Welsh archers who won the battle of Agincourt for the English (witness Flewelyn in Henry V), and it was the Welsh who were the first inhabitants of France (well - I may be stretching his point about the gallois celts and the gaulois celts just a little...), it appears that we had very little to do with the build-up to the French Revolution.

I look forward to our re-entry into world affairs when we discover that the cannon on Victory were made in foundries in Merthyr Tydfil or something... (Perhaps he'll mention Jemima Whatsername, the lady in the big hat who captured the French invasion force at Haverfordwest)

* Remember, the pivot is very small, but great things turn on it. Just look at a door and its hinges!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen