French food

After the English Class last night (all my advanced group seem to have gone home, so I planned out messages on Mark for the Chinese in the café) we talked about French food.

The food in France is very very good, but you do have to get used to it.

For example one of the dishes at the Colloque was poached eggs in a big dish of creamed spinach, served with rice. It's actually very nice indeed, but I can't imagine what a gang of British pastors would say if presented with that. Another day we had artichokes gratin as part of a meal. Really nice, but the first time in my 52 years that I've eaten artichokes.

Or the wonderful French beef that you have to eat with your eyes closed. The knife cuts through it so easily and it's very very tender, but even someone with dodgy colour vision can see that it has not been, as we say, "cooked through".

The best dish of this area is undoubtedly magret de canard. It's like very, very expensive, so it's a real high days and holidays kind of dish, except for the pizzas - I'll come on to that. Anyway magret de canard is breast fillet of duck. It's wonderfully tasty - like strong savoury chicken, but it comes ... "not cooked through". Once I had some at the fête de la musique, it was 6 euros for magret and chips in the square at Pessac and that was such a bargain I thought go for it... It was pink. Very pink. So you eat with your eyes closed till you can get used to it. (I've never seen it there since - now they do chipolatas instead...)

Pizzas. French pizzas are just so different. Duck and orange pizza it the affordable way of eating magret de canard. One day I must scan a takeaway pizza menu and pop it on for you. You'd be amazed.
.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen