What a pair of wilburs !

Wedding morning and we did a quick tally of francophones and non-francophones. The wedding would be in French with a bit of English for the non-francophones. We raced off to print and photocopy the hymns. All things bright and beautiful, and A toi la gloire.

We went to inspect the church. Grendelbruch has no protestant church so everyone uses the Catholic church. Ben needed to make a cd with the processional music - a choir singing Amazing Grace, and "When I'm 64". We could only check that the cd worked just before the church service.

OK. 14h30 at the Mairie, 15h at the church.
The Mairie was nice, and the Maire charming and medalled ! A champion maire ?

I scuttled to the church. M Tortellini was rehearsing his aria with the organist.
"Can I have an order of service ?"
No, there isn't one, but it's "All things bright and beautiful", then "A toi la gloire".
"And "When the saints go marching in" ?"
pfffrfffrrr (the noise for sorry I know nothing of that)
"Well I don't have the music for "All things bright and beautiful"

Ben arrives. "But I gave him the music. A toi la gloire goes to When the saints go marching in."
Does it ?
So you told me.
Did I ? (how nuts am I these days...?)

The CD doesn't work. Quick confab with organist. Pat, Ben's mom and his aunt will sing Amazing grace while Nora comes in. We'll skip "All things". Can organist please play "A toi la gloire" (Handel) for going out. He says yes. I hear (from the organ loft) Amazing Grace and see Nora coming in.

There's never a fireman's pole when you need one. I process quickly down the stairs and sneak to front of the church.

Mawwidge ! (without coughing ! prayer and Potter's pastilles !).
Not a dry eye in the place.

A toi la gloire does not go to "when the saints go marching in", but it does go well to Handel.
Message goes OK. Marriage - Alliance (wedding ring in French) - God's faithful promise - Christ to the cross for us - give yourselves for one another (rough road map...)

Exit to Mendelssohn.  

It was a lovely wedding. Warm, personal, friendly, intimate, full of love.

Later I remember - I had told Ben that sometimes we sing 'Toi qui disposes" to "When the saints go marching in" ! It's a DIFFERENT SONG you great wilbur !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen