"Netbooks" - these small pcs

I thought I'd pop a little post on about these tiny laptops commonly called netbooks. Being somewhat geeky I like to keep abreast of what is happening and I now and again wander round the computermongers, so here's my take on the "netbook phenomenon".

It's a good thing.

For various reasons: 1) It gives people the opportunity to try linux easily 2) these netbooks are really easy to carry round 3) they are also often much cheaper than classic laptops 4) they are adequate for what most people need (you see LOADS of them on campus)

There are various choices you'll make according to what is important to you:

Cheap The best deal I have seen was for an eeepc 701 in our local Surcouf at 99€. This has a 7" screen and runs linux and I used one for deputation last year very adequately. SFR are currently doing it by mail order for about 130€.

Battery life The best at present is the Samsung NC10 but it is expensive at about 370€ if you shop around.

Keyboard For typing in French the best keyboard that I have tried is the Acer Aspire One which comes in all kinds of sizes and flavours and starts at 150€ in our local surcouf for the linux version.

Comments

Gary Brady said…
somewhat geeky? You know you had an acer aspire one two years ago. Tell us about things to stick in them for mobile blogging now. (Written on an Acer Aspire One - like ALan's! ;-))
Alan said…
Ah no - none of your townie luxury for me. I had an Asus EEEPC 701 - tiny screen and tiny keys ! Squint and poke. And only one years ago.

But just the job for mobile blogging. Blogger. Video blogs using he built-in webcam. Nip into MacDonalds for a cup of tea and the free wifi. Bob's your uncle !
Gary Brady said…
Clearly both my grasp on time and memory for size is at fault. Coming to Banner this year?
Alan said…
No. No Banner.

Only the UFM Ireland Conference and the UFM Annual Assembly for me this year I'm afraid.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen