I hate computers !

Well it's been a computer-full time. Thursday afternoon I intended to work on the flyers and leaflets at the student centre and set up a simple student centre website but the PC was really struggling. I spent a couple of hours trying to get the thing tidied up :

1) removing one of the spyware programs. 

2) cleaning up some of the old deleted programs.

3) taking out some old unused programs from the start-up procedure 

4) replacing Avast with AVG. 

Avast's licence ran out in the summer and, unfortunately, when that happens it stops working completely. By the time I realised the problem someone had introduced a trojan horse from their USB key. I found this out when I renewed the licence for Avast and did a scan. However, Avast then decided to update itself pretty continuously and demand restarts. 

So I have taken it off and put in AVG instead. When the licence for AVG needs renewal it still works,  it just doesn't update its virus database.

I went back in yesterday morning to complete the clean-up. Now I am fairly confident that the PC is running ok but there's still odds and ends to do, like increase the memory from 512kb to 1024 for a start.

ccleaner is a Very Useful Tool for sorting out XP when its internal gubbins play up !

Meanwhile in the happy world of non-Windows Apple have done their usual trick and introduced their new MacBooks which succeed in being even more expensive and even more desirable than the old ones.

Linux, especially in the form of Ubuntu, seems more and more compelling.

Comments

Stew said…
I've been running the free version of AVG for nearlt 2 years. It's very good.
Alan said…
Yes. I use AVG at home and have never had any problems but at the student centre the computers have Avast.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen