St Aubin des Courants d'Air

Yesterday morning I was preaching at St Aubin de Blaye. It was pretty cold, and there was heavy frost on the ground when I left the house. It's an hour to St. Aubin so I popped my huge, lined, thick, leather coat in the back of the car (24€ from Auchan, the till girl couldn't believe it) and I took a small flask of coffee.

At St. Aubin the temple (church) is in pretty bad repair, so we meet in a back room. The back room isn't great, either. There was a fan heater and a gas cylinder with an element screwed into the top, but the gas ran out before the service started and everyone made me scuttle out to the car to get my coat. It's the first time I've preached in an overcoat and I was glad of it. I did think of taking it off before the message but thought better of it. There was an oil-filled radiator, too, but the electricity supply isn't strong enough to cope with both heaters. In fact the lights flickered ominously from time to time...

After the service people discussed the wisdom of meeting in that building in that weather when the temple at Anglade, just 7 km away, has been refurbished and has electric heaters that can get the place to 19°. "These old ladies will get bronchitis and what will their families say then?"

I had a couple of cups of coffee before driving home. Next time I'll take a BIG flask with enough for everyone !

Basically, the church needs rebuilding, but that would need lots of money. Meanwhile the folks are reluctant to sell the building because so many houses are being built in the Blaye area.

It reminded me of Notre Dame des Courants d'Air. I'll find the clip and post it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen