La moustache

by Emmanuel Carrere. Just finished it. Gripping book again. Been turned into a film, which I haven't yet seen. Would recommend reading the book before seeing the film. Pretty sure the book exists in English translation.

Essentially the story starts like this - a chap and his wife are talking. He says, "Would you still love me if I shaved off my moustache?"

She says, "Of course I would, silly. I love you, not your moustache."

She goes out. While she's out he shaves it off. She comes back. Says nothing. They go for a meal with friends. They say nothing. They return home. He says "Well?"

She says "What?"

He says "The moustache?"

She says, "What moustache?"

He says, "I shaved it off."

She says "You never had one."

Is he mad? Is she mad? Is it a conspiracy? Is she out to get rid of him? What's going on? The book's conclusion is indescribably sad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen