Old codger

We played our big band concert last night to a reasonably full house (thanks to Donerse, Liz, David, Manu and Nat for coming - I hope you liked it half as much as you said you did !)

I'm the youngest player in the band. You are supposed to have been playing for something like seven to nine years and to have passed an audition to play. I've been playing for two years, but I get in on various technicalities : I have played other instruments for years so I am a reasonably good reader, I have a car with a big boot and my trombone teacher is the conductor. And we have a critical shortage of trombones. All these factors more than make up for my shortcomings as a trombonist !

Well, I say that I am the youngest player in the band, but last night I suddenly realised that I am the oldest, possibly by some years ! I realised this when lugging the bass guitar amplifier up the stairs and people reacted as I would have if I'd seen my father doing it. 'Hey, Alan, I'll do that...'

Hah ! I may be an old codger, but I can still unfold a music-stand quicker than these young whippersnappers can ! Big up, small down, twist, twist, pull, voilà !

Oh boy ! Now I sound like my father... I think I might shave off my beard. Or at least the gray bits at the side...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen