Well I have been battling with Gwilym's computer

We got it for him for Christmas - off eBay. (Famous last words if ever there were!)

It came with Windows ME and it was working kind of OK. Like ME used to.

I saw XP upgrades dirt cheap in PC-City and got one. Someone since tells me that it might be a collectors item!

I upgraded the PC. It went alarmingly smoothly.

I added the driver for the network card. The PC cycled endlessly through turning on and closing down.

The battle this morning has been to get into the BIOS in order to make it boot off the CD. I eventually managed it - don't ask me how, I don't remember! I am tempted to say brute force and ignorance but I am trying to train myself to say wisdom. (stop laughing)

And now XP is installing again. Thankfully the upgrade CD also works as an install from scratch after formatting everything CD.

Dare I try the network card again? I have to really, don't I!

Back in Wales a friend would have come round and we would have done this together late at night on the dining room table. He said to phone him, but I thought 'Big bold missionary with Swiss Army Knife. I can do this.' And there we are, it's on the way. Thanks, Father, and thank you Pat for praying.

The joyful tidings are (is) that one of the PCs at the student centre is playing up. Soon I must reload XP on that from some kind of backup and set it all up again.

Comments

Alan said…
Well I am posting this comment from Gwilym's PC, so it's working OK. Now all I need is for it to find the network printer. Still, we're getting there. But it all takes so much time..

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen