Linux, Palm, MP3, etc. etc.

Oh sometimes I get so sick of computers...

Ubuntu just works? Not in 32MB of RAM and 3 GB of disk, it doesn't. I am going to try DSLinux. Just don't ask what it stands for.

The rest of Saturday morning I spent wrestling with a dodgy memory card in a Palm and copying and burning MP3 files of one thing and another.

Then to the centre for the English class and the apologetics evening.
Forgot the microphone. Found one that would work OK.
Prepared the PowerPoint.
Got the English Class ready (That was easy this week because last week we decided to have a Scrabble session - in the end we played Boggle because it is a bit faster and so on. Maybe we should try synchro-Scrabble.) We had fun looking up nonexistent words in my trusty old Chambers.

Then we got the room ready for the apologetics evening. This month the subject was cosmology and the origin of the universe, followed by a discussion of how to respond to someone who believes that death is the end, then an overview of Pascal and his Pensées.

Then home on the night bus through the driving rain. There had been a fairly spectacular accident on the boulevard but the police man guided us round the wreckage and the police wagons. I saw the famous Maison des Cakes from the night bus.

Tired but happy was the final outcome. As I was leaving the centre all wrapped up in my red jumper and my black coat one of the lads told me I was as handsome as a brand new lorry. Beau comme un camion (tout neuf). The brand new bit is optional. It's the kind of thing your granny says, apparently.

Comments

PGDH said…
32MB? Who are you kidding? When I told you how Ubuntu "Just Works" (TM) for me, I did also say how amazed I was that it managed to fit in 192MB!

What applications are you going to run on 32MB? Not OpenOffice, that's for sure :)
Alan said…
Well it ran Windows 98 OK.

In 1998.
PGDH said…
Your memory is obviously failing. Windows 98 never ran ok on anything.

"Linux -- because your computer is too good to waste".
Alan said…
Your memory would fail, too, if you only had 32MB.

Linux - worth a go even for hopeless cases.

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen