Chocolat chantilly

After the great chick pea juice discovery I stumbled upon this: Chocolat chantilly.

This is, apparently, a genuine French recipe developed by a genuine French chef, I forget who, around I think the 1940s. I hope that is vague enough. Anyway, if you search for it you will find it described as chocolate mousse or chocolat chantilly. The recipes I have seen all vary. Some use equal weight of chocolate and water. Some use less water than chocolate. Some use hot tea instead of water. I wonder what a nice, light, jasmine china tea would bring to the mix. Another recipe uses half water, half orange juice.

Anyway, this was my recipe for yesterday:

350g of dark chocolate broken into small pieces. The recipes all say to use the best 70% chocolate. I used supermarket own brand 50%.

270ml of hot water.

Then whisk until the chocolate is dissolved into the water. Once you have a runny liquid with no lumps put your whisking bowl over an ice bath and continue to whisk until the mixture becomes dull and begins to thicken. Decant it into your serving bowl and put it in the fridge to wait.

It was SO GOOD!

What I learned in practice:

I used an electric mixer and I am sure this helped a lot.

I used two identical glass salad bowls and placed the one with the chocolate inside the one with the ice and water. As a result I got chocolate all over me and the kitchen walls. Next time I will use a deeper, straight-sided bowl to whisk in.

The mousse set quite solid, so next time I will try using equal quantities of water and chocolate, and perhaps I'll use a nice scented tea, just to see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen