Surprising things in France

 One reason that the blog is so much more infrequently updated is that France doesn't really surprise us much any more. I was thinking about this this morning as I wondered whether Pat and I should get a picture taken of us on our bikes, buying baguettes etc... (we draw the line at the stripes jumpers, gauloises and berets...)

But France can still surprise us.

For example, our towns have now imposed a 30kph limit. Bègles was the first. Bordeaux soon followed suit. So in town, unless indicated otherwise (on particularly wide roads, or urban expressways etc.) the speed limit is 30kph. This is about 18 mph. And there was no outcry, no petitions, no scoffing, no real comment at all.

Contrast this with the reaction to the Welsh Government's recent decision to do the same.

This morning we read that the Parisians have voted to multiply parking fees threefold for large SUVs. I knew they were voting on it, and I know that almost everyone I know thinks that the proliferation of Chelsea Tractors in our towns and cities is one of the more regrettable aspects of modern life. But then very few of the people I know own a car anyway! So the vote took me by surprise.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen