les Davey de France

Alan and Pat live and work in Bordeaux. Alan is a pastor and Pat was a nurse. Now we work with UFM worldwide. Read on! (If you'd like to know what took us to Bordeaux, then start with the archives from September 2004)

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The washing machine

My first job was in Hemel Hempstead and I rented a room. In my landlord's kitchen was a Hoover Keymatic washing machine, but he explained that everyone took their washing to the launderette up the road. So every Saturday morning I took my binbag of clothes and sat and read while it turned and spun. One day I said, "Have you noticed that big white thing in the corner of the kitchen ? Do you know if it works ?" He had, and he didn't.

I moved to Cardiff and soon bought my own house. I thought, "I can do without most things. I can do without a fridge, even, as long as I have a washing machine." Since then I've never been without a washing machine. I'd happily get rid of the car, and often imagine doing so. But not the washing machine ! I'm on my third since 1982. They last well, don't they !

Hans Rosling thinks they're important, too :

No comments: