Not being a pastor

Sometimes people ask me if I miss being pastor. I tell them that I don't think about it. Till today, that is, because I decided that it was about time that I did think about it.

Here are one or two "thoughts" on different aspects.

1) It was lovely to sit with my family in church. This is something I have sometimes had opportunity to do, when Mark Rowcroft was assitant at Deeside I would sit with the family and listen to him. But to do it regularly was nice. It didn't last long because I quickly became the PowerPoint man and I have a little one-man desk to sit at.

2) It is lovely to be a "supportive church member" again. I had to think again about how you do it! The things you say and the things you don't say, and the moments you choose to say things, and the contexts in which you say them. All very important! And above all, simple faithfulness and dependability - meaning that you will be there, on time - if not early - and you will do what you said you would if you possibly can. I know how much those things have meant to me over the years and I want to give those things to Sammy. (That reminds me, we aren't members yet)

3) There are two kinds of people who eat meals. Firstly there are the ravenously hungry who just want to eat. Then there are the foodie types who aren't really hungry but they are interested in cooking and they'd like to know about how you made the meal and how well it turned out. The best compliment any cook can ever have is a hungry table of people who devour with urgency the food set before them, rather than to pick at it!

I want to be ravenously hungry and to devour what the preachers put before me, even if, in other circumstances, I might like to discuss some aspects of this or that. After all, food is for eating and eating is for life, and man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God. I remember a chappie down south telling me that whatever the preacher might be like, he always tried to find something nourishing in it. Good attitude.

Yes, I miss being a pastor, obviously. I miss the folk. Still. A lot. (This weekend has been a tough one for homesickness for everyone, but we're OK. It's normal.) But this time is good, too, and it's a blessing to be able to observe and think and support again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A bit about music exams in UK and France

The Kitchen